Monday, January 12, 2009

As day follows night

Reading stories like this makes me worry about our future politicians.

Mr Lewis, who is believed to studying in London, told friends on the Facebook website that he planned to attend a party dressed as Madeleine McCann.

He said his costume would include "pink pyjamas, a teddy bear and a vial of fake blood".

After the party, Mr Lewis used the website to tell another Conservative Future member that "there was a brief moment when I thought I might have gone too far with elements of the costume but it was OK".

Not, I hope you realise, dear readers, because I am a prude. Far from. I giggled seductively when a friend in Brussels went to a fancy dress party as a paedophile by turning up with a bag of sweets. No, it's because the wee mites have so much still to learn when it comes to not being a complete fool in the eyes of the general public.

Given the British public's adoration for an ourpouring of faux grief over someone they've never met (See 'Princess of Wales' for another example) it was hardly likely to be a clever move by Mr Lewis who, given his former position in Conservative Future, probably wanted to be an MP by the time he was 27, like so many who went before.

And then I remember the politicians we have now, and I realise that nature is just running it's course and ensuring that the politicians of tomorrow will be no better or worse than the politicians of today.

It's just a shame that they're supposed to be in charge.

No comments: