Friday, January 25, 2008

Pressed against a wall

The only indedpendent media in Georgia, Imedi, has had its assets frozen by the court.
Badri Patarkatsishvili said:

These actions by the state are clearly improper and probably
illegal. We have appealed this decision. I have been charged with
nothing and found guilty of nothing. This is all part of the
harassment by Mikheil Saakashvili to destroy the opposition and his
political opponents, and enforce his falsified election. I am sure the
international community is watching and noting there is no proper
independent rule of law and how far Georgia is from being a `triumph
of democracy'.

I think everyone of sound mind realises that this is a bad thing. The country has been in a state of emergency since November and the Russian government denies getting involved, but looking at the behaviour of Russia I ask myself how realistic this is. I was in contact with someone who dealt with the electronic terrorism in Estonia, when the interweb went down and I really think that people who aren't concerned by this country may be reading 'The Village with Three Corners' instead of the newspapers...

No comments: