Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A well-needed break

Am off on holiday in a couple of days and it couldn't come at a better time. No, that's not true. It could come at a better time; I could be flying off to the sun tomorrow and have already packed and gone to the supermarket to by velcro and suet. (don't ask)

I am feeling a wee bit stressed because of work, I keep forgetting to pay my tax bill, pay in cheques and all that sort of thing and my love life is just a complete mess. I can tell it is because I was on the tube earlier and I started reciting Shakespeare and sonnet No, 116 in particular.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom:
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.


From Wiki:

First published in 1609, is at once one of his most romantic pieces as well as one of his most profound works, often quoted at weddings. It is commonly interpreted as the view that true love is unchanging, despite changing circumstances, such as the loss of beauty with old age--or even the loss of the other's affection. In this sense, the sonnet can be seen to be a commentary not only on romantic love, but on unconditional love, which does not depend upon reciprocation for its continuation. It may even be taken to suggest that true love survives betrayal and infidelity, or any other action on the part of the beloved which might tend to "remove" the love. If so, then it implies the long-suffering and forgiving nature of genuine love. These implications elevate the sonnet from the realm of merely romantic literature into the expression of a moral ideal.


Oh god. This won't end well. Having spoken to good friends recently who are still in love with people who have either died or hurt them very badly, I have to consider the reality that this isn't one I am going to be getting over any time soon.

Thank god I am going away somewhere hot, sunny with great shopping. Am needing that shoe fix. Honestly...who recites Shakespeare these days outside of the South Bank.

No comments: