Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fancy that

It's quite clear these days that despite politicians taking us for a ride, spending our money feathering their nests and sacking off most of their work to the European Commission we still don't treat them properly.

Take this unacceptable piece of news which I've heard via the PA newswires:

Veteran Tory MP for Macclesfield Sir Nicholas Winterton has hit out at the new expenses culture at the House of Commons, saying he is "infuriated" that he can no longer travel first class on trains.In an interview with Total Politics magazine, Sir Nicholas claimed the Commons "reforms" being introduced in the wake of the expenses scandal will "make things much worse".

He said: "They want to stop Members of Parliament travelling first class. That puts us below local councillors and officers of local
government. They all travel first class. Majors in the Army travel first class. So we are supposed to stand when there are no seats. I'm sorry, it infuriates me."

It infuriates me, too!

How can we do that to people who are in an incredibly over prescribed job? Fancy having to stand up sometimes on a train? For a ticket that they don't even pay for, but we do!

It's not like most people who travel to work on public transport have to stand up; those poor people who pay his wages and his wife's wages and their second home allowance and their bills...

When I travel in using public transport the chance of actually being able to get on a fucking train would be nice, Sir Nicholas. I spend most of my commuting time waiting on underground platforms for a tube to pull up which actually has space for me to squeeze in. The prospect of getting a seat is a pipe dream; a reality only for those who live at the end of a tube line.

That's why, Sir Nicholas, I invested in a bicycle because it was the quickest, if not also the most dangerous, way to travel to my office. And unlike your boss, I don't have a car following me with my documents in: I have a rucksack on my back.

MPs: you're so out of touch. If you don't like it then fuck off and get another job because the state this country is in, it's quite clear you're shit at the one you have.

2 comments:

Witterings from Witney said...

He also seems to forget that it is possible for him to upgrade himself out of his own pocket!

If anything, this just confirms the political elite do consider themselves a class apart.

Surreptitious Evil said...

If he thinks Army Majors get 1st class train travel at the current time, he's not talked to any. All service and MOD CS journeys are standard / economy, at the moment. As a cost savings measure.