Thursday, March 08, 2007

International Women's Day

Last year, I wrote a rather dour post on this celebration of all things women, about the treatment of women in other parts of the world. So this year, I thought I'd write about something a little more cheerful than lawful beatings and unacceptable rape laws in Islamic countries.

So here is a truly hideous video about female genital mutilation.

My colleague could not watch this video to the end. I did, and I felt sick and angry and close to tears.

Watch it. Please.

UPDATE: naturally, the government has no idea whether their legislation has worked or not.

Chris McCafferty (Calder Valley, Labour)
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many social service interventions have taken place relating to female genital mutilation since the introduction of the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003; and what assessment he has made of the outcome of such interventions.

Parmjit Dhanda (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Education and Skills)
holding answer 1 February 2007
I have been asked to reply.

The Department does not hold this information.

Well, thanks for that.

1 comment:

Trixy said...

I forced myself to watch it. I thought that I needed to see the full horror.

We are lucky that we have the option not to watch it. The poor girl on the video did not have the option to keep her genitalia.

These people are scum. They deserve to rot.